Education, Awareness and Communication
- Raising awareness, communicating the outcome and dissemination of information about the need for maintenance of rivers, conservation of the riverine eco system, its flows, hydrology, water recharges mechanisms, ground water management its relationship with climate change, the effects upon environment.
- It is proposed that training and capacity building of community level leaders will be done and especially those involvement directly or indirectly in sustainable-development initiatives as well environment protection.
Research and documentation:
The knowledge of present scenarios is essential. It can be promoted through site specific satellite images, on the spot geographical surveys secondary data and (physical study) and from the available secondary data. A comparative analysis of the present and previous status will give a picture of difference – on the basis of which the future course of action to be taken with regard to in the sources of the rivers and which effectively can make an impact to save the sources of rivers.
Researches and study areas will include the following:-
- Human habitant’s and their land; forest uses pattern for livelihood and other development purpose in the areas.
- Vegetation coverage with respect to soil and moisture conservation on hydrological aspects.
- The status of each stream, branches, falls etc. of rivers for quantification of availability of water, declining rate and total absorption capacity.
- Rate of soil erosion and major reason(s).
- Forest uses for Fire woods, grazing, and NTFP collection at source level.
Intervention through entrepreneurships promotion on Livelihood Generation
- Addressing poverty by strengthening the resilience capacity of communities through pilot activities that will improve livelihood opportunities, generate income, and ensure the sustainable management of natural resources.
- Promoting and developing pro-poor value chains of niche products and services as adaptation strategy particularly, those dependent on the river eco system, ensuring the sustainable and equitable management of the natural resources.
- Supporting the use of ecosystems services like landscape and biodiversity for recreational activities with direct community involvement and extending benefit.
- Enhancing sustainable practices in the management of natural resources and identification of alternatives at a local level.
Promotion of soil and moisture conservation measure:
- In most of the places forest has massively depleted in different region. These is being regenerated through conservation and revitalization by recharging the water and maintaining the ground water level in accordance with the feasible condition through Plantation and soil and moisture conservation measures
- Different development agencies are already doing work and planning to do work in different dimension in the respective areas and aspects. It would be one goal to convergence their work towards the save the sources of rivers water.
Networking, Collaboration, Partnership
It is proposed that the initiative will multiplied through support from and networking with corporates, research organizations, academic organization, government, local institutions and development organizations etc.
- Strengthening collaborative research in the region in relation to livelihoods and ecosystem services to generate evidence-based knowledge for adaptation and mitigation to climate change in the region
- Linking with discussions/mechanisms at a national and global level
- Climate Change and Poverty Reduction agenda in partnership with the relevant stakeholders.